Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Creators part 1




    The man stood at the busy intersection on the edge of the continent. He stared off into the vast blue green water that went on forever across the busy street. The warm wind off the desert ebbed and flowed around him like the tide as it blew out to sea. So much flotsam and jetsam in this land he thought to himself. He closed his eyes for a moment trying to picture the paradise that should have been but never came. He sighed quietly, sad. The once joyous visits here were now forced and laborious.


    A stranger, head down, walked by and bumped into the man. The man looked at him, "excuse me" he said as he searched to see the strangers eyes. The stranger never looking up grunted and kept walking. If he knew who I was the man thought, would he change? Would he have treated me differently? Would he have looked me in the eyes and apologized? No, the man didn't think so. He didn't think the stranger could grasp who he was.


    He had enough for one day, it was time to go home. He turned and faced the wind, hesitated, then walked up the crowded street. A little ways down, past the shops, he found an isolated alley and turned down it. The alley overgrown and neglected was quiet. He looked around, seeing no one. He reached out with his right hand, fingers splayed, and held it above the ground. The overgrown plants began to sway as the wind picked up and twirled through the little alley. With a small little hum, a bluish white line encircled the man at his feet. It began to spin, the hum getting louder the faster it went. The line began to move up, creating a tube enveloping the man. In an instant the man was completely hidden inside the tube of light and as fast as it started it ended. The man and the light ceased to be there. The sound of air, rushing into the new found emptiness, crashed with a loud boom, shaking windows for blocks. A couple, two blocks over, stopped and briefly looked at each other then continued on their way.

6 comments:

  1. You captured my interest at "...the paradise that should have been but never came..." I was pulled in with unsatisfied curiosity... Pull me in again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Midnight and Farila, thank you very much for your comments. I have a story in my head but it is a tough one for me to convey. I decided to just attempt this one section at a time so I sat down and wrote blindly one day and this is what came out. So yes, the story continues but I do not know with what kind of regularity yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, Mike. I look forward to the next part..

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found this today. intriguing story and well written. please do continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, thank you. I plan to continue this one. I've done part 2 already but this is the one thats giving me a horrible time articulating.

    ReplyDelete